22 August 2017

Addtional Advice For Podcasters

In addition to the post about podcasts I made [here] I'd like to add the following thoughts.

Don't exclude your audience. If you have an hour of podcast and spend 10 minutes yucking it up with your co-hosts over a private joke? One you don't care to explain to your listeners? You're wasting our time. We don't listen to your podcasts to be excluded from yet another social circle, we tune in to hear your thoughts about something we love. In-jokes are great, but let us in on the joke!

Assume your bumper music is too loud. I realize the value of using music to distinguish your podcast and set the tone. But, honestly? When I have to turn up the volume in my earbuds to hear your dialog clearly ... only to be assaulted by music with the volume dialed to 11? It's rather startling  On a related note ...

Get a sound technician. You've got one or two hosts in-studio and another on what I hope is a clean 'phone line but the volumes are poorly balanced. That, coupled with a host with a loud and commanding voice paired with a soft-spoken guest can make dialogue difficult to follow.

2 comments:

  1. All true. When we were coming up, these people would have been doing college radio and hopefully learning how to do it. Now everyone just goes live and it's awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I give them props for trying, it's more than I've done. So my hat is off to them for that! Still, I thought they could use a few pointers.

      Delete